[TYPO3] [Typo3] How large of website can typo3 handle?

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Thu Jan 5 15:55:13 CET 2006

Michael Scharkow wrote:

>Ries van Twisk wrote:
>

>>Also at some point page generation is going to be come a problem.
>>- When you have 20.000 pages and page generation time is long (at my
>>site +5 seconds)
>>

>How come that page generating is *that* long? Sounds like infinitely
>recursive template settings or sth. like that ;)

1) According to my template analyzer my typoscript code is 5604 lines long.
2) We use quite number of dynamic stuff on our site (COA_INT)
3) We frequently need to search and grab information and sum them up on
one page

If you see this page:
http://www.livetravelguides.com/south-america/ecuador/

1) The left menu is generated on a daily base according to it's
popularity, the more popular a page, the higher up in the menu
 That means we search in de complete ecuador tree all popular pages,
it's not like a level1 menu or  something like that.

The top hotels items etc.. are also found throughout complete ecuador,
also here I search in the complete tree below ecuador.
It's not a simply selection of all hotels in level+1 in ecuador...

The bottom menu is based os a select query aswell, I think that should
be fairly fast.

I cannot see quicly where rendering times go to, typo3 'just' tells me
about 4500ms in 'PAGE'.

I know that my left menu is responsible for about 2000ms of rendering
time. I frequently get rootlines or the same
pages which are not cached by t3 internally and this need to be
retreived from the DB.

Templavoila might also be a performance hit...

>The site's URL would be nice for looking at it.
>

>>- collapsing en uncollpasing page trees is going to be  prob at some
>>point, loading a complete big tree...and rendering the icons in your
>>browser when page tree is big.
>>

>The BE is slow anyway, but most probably you don't have too many BE
>users, and you can expect them to be more forgiving about performance.
>

>>I know about the cache... but we frequently need to delete the cache due
>>to the fact that we update our rotating banner
>>and change items throughout the whole site at once, not just a single page.
>>

>How frequently? Apart from the absurdly long page rendering problem, if
>you are really heavily frequented, caching pays off even if you clear
>the cache every 5 minutes or so because it is a few times more effective
>than rendering the whole stuff anew.

we did it yesterday and had one report of page beeing generated....
Since we post advertisements in the complete site on a weekly base,
sometimes daily base
I need to delete cache otherwise they are not visiable.
All advertisements are served by phpadsnew using our extention
ltg_phpadsnew.
But some types of advertisements need to have a cache cleared due to
there apparence and how we add them.
superbanner and skyscrapers don't need to have the cache cleared.

>>So for my right now 20.000 is maximum for a single server.....
>>

>How do you manage 20.000 real content pages is the more interesting
>question for me. Even with 200 BE users that's still a lot to maintain.

Yes it is... like I said, we don't ahve that many yet.
But we are lickly going to do XML imports from other sources to create
pages in our page tree.

Then it is fairly easy to get +20.000 pages

Ries