[TYPO3] Search Engine Optimization and Persistent URLs

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at fm-world.ru
Wed Jan 4 08:07:10 CET 2006

Hi!

Ricardo Scachetti Pereira wrote:
>    I'm setting up a Typo3 website and I have two potentially conflicting
> requirements:
>
> 1) Search Engine Optimization
> 2) Persistent URLs
>
>    These requirements may be conflicting if, for example, I use RealURL
> extension to optimize search engine indexing and use the tree hierarchy
> as part of the page. As soon as I change the title of a page in the
> tree, I break all links for pages under that subtree. Or if I move one
> page to another branch of the page tree (say, I move a page to an
> archive for example), I also break all links to that page. On the other
> hand, I can ensure I have persistent URLs by just turning off RealURL
> and using the page ids, but then I won't get good search engine ratings.
>
>    Does anyone have a good solution for this trade-off?

Yes. If you use tx_realurl_advanced, add the following into your
"pagePath" section of RealURL configuration:
	'disablePathCache' => false
This way RealURL will send "301 Moved permanently" to search engines
(and visitors) when path to the page changes. At least this is what I
see in the RealURL PHP code.

You should not clear FE cache because this action clears information
about old paths as well.

Dmitry.