[TYPO3] google earth extension?

Alex Heizer alex at tekdevelopment.com
Sat Feb 11 20:40:41 CET 2006

What we really need is a real "location search" extension.

I'm not sure how well the results work in other countries, but in the
US, the free automated location and mapping services return questionable
results at best, and horrible results at worst. This makes any business
who uses them as their primary means to provide directions very
unprofessional.

A few examples from my own experience include identifying a bank located
inside our local Wal-Mart as being across the street (when it should be
the same location as the Wal-Mart, being inside the building), or, more
accurately, nonexistent since the bank hasn't been there for at least 3
years. Another example is when I had to visit a cell phone store in
another state that was listed on the wrong side of a major highway
interchange, that resulted in about an hour of lost time navigating the
congested New Jersey highway system, when, had it been listed properly,
I would have found instantly because I was familiar with the building
that the store had moved into since the last time I was in the area. The
last example is that it lists my ex-wife to be living in my parents
house, married to my father, and I've been divorced for 12 years. Hardly
accurate results. In addition, as I mentioned in a similar thread on the
US list, on this particular website, it lists the farthest store
location from the zip code given, rather than the nearest. So from a
usability standpoint, google provides backwards results.

It would be good if someone could spend their time instead creating a
location search extension that allows franchise owners to log in as fe
users and update their information personally, since the people who live
and work in that area would have better directions and know all the tiny
details that the automated map and direction generators might miss. Such
as when a business has been closed for several years already, or which
side of a street the building is actually located on. As a true T3
extension, rather than just incorporating an automated script, it would
be configurable by the site admin whether you wanted to offer results
sorted by distance (with the closest one actually being listed first
instead of last), alphabetically, or some other arbitrary priority.

Is anyone working on a real location search extension?

Alex