[TYPO3] pageNotFound_handling - 404 error

Christine Rochelt crochelt at hochbau.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Feb 1 09:57:00 CET 2006

After browsing the Mailarchive for hours I still have no clue how to fix
this:

After conversion of the website to Typo3 there are a lot of old links on
other sites or searchengines.

Old links that are on the first level (for example:
http://www.mydomain.com/doesntexistanymore.html) are directed without
any problem. Depending on how it is configured in the install tool
->[pageNotFound_handling]

Old links that are not on the first level, but in an old subdirectory
that doesn't exist anymore, for example:
http://www.mydomain.com/doesntexistanymore/doesntexistanymore.html
are not redirected.
No matter how I configure [pageNotFound_handling].
I also tried the extension "404 Error Page Handling " with the same
result.
Thanks for any ideas.

Christine