[TYPO3] XML driven Flash site in Typo3

David Smeringe david at smeringe.se
Thu Dec 14 11:12:44 CET 2006

Emile skrev:
> Hello,
>
> I would like to build a site entirely made in Flash which takes the
> content wrapped in an XML file generated by typo3. The content of
> course is updated through the back end as usual.

I would strongly advice you not to in respect of SEO and such. ;)
Well, having that said..

> As I am quite new into generating XML through Typo3 (I guess this is
> easily done in TS), I have not a clear idea yet how to approach this
> project.
>
> For example, the flash file should reside into a static html page and
> then retrieve the xml file produced by typo3 by calling the pages for
> each flash section?

Yeah. That would be the best choice. If I remember correct flash has a
time limit reading xmlbuffers so having small ones is adviceable. I
think loading only what's needed is generally a good aproach.

First thing is to make sure that you are using utf-8 thruought the
storyline...

I've used the extensions xml_menu and xml_contentrendering with success.

The first one is to render menu structures and the second is for
contents. Getting the data is a question of passing a defined typeNum to
the URL. The typeNum is a TS constant for xml_menu and for
xml_contentrendering it's defined in the TS template included next.

Include the static templates ingmar_xmlmenu and (if you don't define it
yourself in your TS) xml_contentrendering to your TS template setup.

Examples from my test site (can be broken...)
By default you get the menu in this way:
http://dev.merea.se/acmsdev/index.php?id=9&type=3
And contents this way:
http://dev.merea.se/acmsdev/index.php?id=15&type=555

You might (I recommend you to) alter the TS of xml_contentrendering a
bit to your needs.

Hope that gave you a jump in the right direction.
Good luck.

Best Regards,
David Smeringe