[TYPO3] Typo3 problem solved: Create "admin" user does not create a user in DB.

Tero Niemi talamus at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 05:34:23 CET 2006

PROBLEM:
You make a clean install over Apache/MySQL by downloading
'typo3_src-4.0.2.zip' and 'dummy-4.0.2.zip'. You do everything by the
book, but you cannot login to the backend.

Why? Because there is no admin-user in the database. You cannot even
create an admin user. Database Analyzer tells that user is created but
actually it is not!

SOLUTION:
You are using MySQL 5. You should use MySQL 4, or turn on the
MySQL4-mode in MySQL 5. For additional information see:
http://wiki.typo3.org/index.php/Windows#MySQL

AN IDEA:
You guys should put some kind of warning into INSTALL.TXT that
installing over MySQL 5.x doesn't work -- because that is what people
are going to download, the newest version.

This one drove me absolutely crazy. I lost a days work because of it...

Tero Niemi

----------

Forwarded message (actually copypasted) from "Nick Cohn":

Hello

I am installing typo3 for the first time and can't work out what the problem
is.  Everything seems to be OK.  Install script reports no errors with DB.
If I use the Create "admin" user function in Database Analyser in Install
Tool it reports back "User Created" with no errors.  If I then go to the
Backend log in page I can't log in.  If I query the DB I get the following
result:

C:\>mysql -e "SELECT COUNT(*) FROM be_users" typo3

+----------+
| COUNT(*) |
+----------+
| 0        |
+----------+

Further the database seems to be working fine.  The Install Tool can access
the database OK. At first I had a problem accessing the database because of
the known hashing problems but that all works now (old_passwords added to
my.ini). All of the graphical tests in the Install Tool work well. "COMPARE"
under Database Analyser in Install Tool reports everything OK.

I am a MCSE/IBM Administrator (AIX) but Open source software and databases
are new to me.  I can't find anything about such a problem via typo3
documentation or Google.  Please help!

Thanks
Nick Cohn

talamus at gmail.com