[TYPO3] Typo3 Taking too much memory?

Richard Hayes r.hayes at emnet.co.uk
Wed Aug 30 18:26:55 CEST 2006

Hi.

I work for a hosting company in the UK and we've been considering
releasing Typo3 as an 'installable' app for our customers. However, when
we started testing Typo3's loads on our VDS (not VPS, but similar in
principle, and certainly in terms of resource sharing), we got quite
scared!

If more than 2 or 3 people were browsing a site, the load on the
hardware node would hop to above 40. It didn't start swapping though...
We tweaked Apache, MySQL and PHP config but didn't really make any great
achievements.

In the end we installed eAccelerator (http://eaccelerator.net/) which
worked fantastically! The responsiveness of the sites rose between 6 and
8 times faster -- we were very impressed! Load didn't rise about 6 after
that. Bear in mind load sites between 2 and 5.

I would certainly look as installing this on your site, as Typo3 is very
tough going on CPU. It worked for us!

Regards,
Ricky.