[TYPO3] Typo3 Taking too much memory?

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at accio.lv
Tue Aug 29 19:36:35 CEST 2006

Hi!

Olaf Bottek wrote:
> Well Typo3 uses persistent mysql connections, this reduces already to
> load with opening and closing mysql connections.

Sorry, but this is a common mistake... Persistent mysql connections in
PHP tend not to release associated resources, thus increasing memory
that hangs around without any use. The first performance optimization
thing is to use non-persistent connections.

The only case when persistent connections are good is when mysql is on
another host and tcp is used for connections. For local mysql server
they do not have any benefits.

> In general VPS are kind
> of tricky, I think. I visited the website of your provider. They are
> talking about minimum Dual Xeon 3 GHz with 8 GB RAM. For the VPS they
> guarantee 256 of RAM and 10 GB of harddisk. That sounds to me like they
> would place 16 VPS onto one such server.

256 MB is not much for typo3 system. My server has 2GB and sometimes it
starts swapping (and I have to tune it a little to prevent swapping).

> Your website, which seams to run on a VPS already by now, semans also
> not very fast. You could try to reduce extensions - that will speed up
> Typo3 in general and reduces mysql connections.

He can try to install PHP accelerator. This will impove typo3
performance a lot.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
http://typo3bloke.net/