[TYPO3] Encryption under TYPO3

Sébastien Ioannitis-McColl Ioannitis at intracen.org
Wed Aug 2 16:07:16 CEST 2006

hello

Thanks a lot for your answers. I will try your extension.
In fact you are right, this is the reason why I want to encrypt everything (in fact just a few fields, but I would rather encrypt everything if not too resource consuming).
Thanks again for your tips.
Seb

Sébastien Ioannitis-McColl wrote:

> I would like to know if there is any way to encrypt FE and BE passwords stored by TYPO3 in MySQL.

* BE password are md5 encrypted
* FE password can get md5 encrypted using various extensions (kb_md5fepw)

In both cases when md5 passwords are stored in the database a challenge response exchange is performed
to log in into the Website or Backend.

> If so, does TYPO3 support encryption of the full database?

No. not currently. But I guess you would rather do this on a lower level - meaning let mysql encrypt the
database and output it decoded to a mysql connection when a proper user connects (if this is possible)

I do not think such a thing should get performed in the CMS.

I guess the reason you are wanting encrpytion is to make the server safe against thievere when sensible
data is stored on it - as you can also upload files using TYPO3 and the database itself is also stored
on the file-system I would suggest you use some crypto-fs of which quite some are around i.e. cryptofs:

http://reboot.animeirc.de/cryptofs/

greets,
Bernhard