[TYPO3] Is it safe to use DBAL?

Michael Scharkow michael at underused.org
Mon Apr 3 11:15:26 CEST 2006

Martin Kindler wrote:

> So, the question is: would you advise to build on DBAL or better use a
> home-grown simple MySQL-only approach?

I don't understand the question. You can and should always use the
database abstraction TYPO3 has built-in, aka $TYPO3-DB->foo() for your
purposes. It's then completely up to the site admin what db to use for
the site or particular tables. As an extension author, you should just
write portable code, and as a site admin, you should use DBAL if you
need anything else than plain MySQL.

I wonder why you need DBAL at all: You worry about performance and use
only MySQL. So you either don't need DBAL or you could use the DBAL
native driver and switch to another db any time later.

Greetings,
Michael