[Typo3] 301 Moved Permanently

Pierre Rossel typo3-l at prossel.com
Fri Sep 30 14:47:23 CEST 2005

Hello,

When publishing a new site version made with Typo3, we have the option to
remove the old files from the web server... or not.

If removed, search engines like Google will get a 404 error and remove the
page from the index. Or with Typo3, it will get the home page by default.
I'm not sure of the consequences, but Google really don't like many urls
that have the same content as it is considered as search engine spam.

If old pages are left in place, they will not be removed from search engines
and visitors may miss the new content.

For this reason I once wrote a small php file to handle the 404 error, look
up requested files in a CSV table and if found return a "HTTP/1.0 301 Moved
Permanently" header along with the new page location. This is very valuable
because search engines will replace old url by the new one and in the case
of Google, transfer PageRank from the old page to the new page. Before the
crawler updates the index, a google user clicking on the old url is
automatically and transparently redirected to the new url.

Now the point is that I don't think my php file is compatible with Typo3
with SimulateStatic link. Most urls are invalid and rewrited to index.php by
the mean of .htaccess.

So my question is: how can I tell Typo3 that some old url sould return a
"HTTP/1.0 301 Moved Permanently" heaer to update search engines instead of
displaying the default home page ?

Thank you.
Pierre Rossel