[Typo3] 301 Moved Permanently

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Fri Sep 30 15:05:20 CEST 2005

Pierre Rossel schrieb am 30.09.2005 14:47:

> When publishing a new site version made with Typo3, we have the option to
> remove the old files from the web server... or not.
>
> If removed, search engines like Google will get a 404 error and remove the
> page from the index. Or with Typo3, it will get the home page by default.
> I'm not sure of the consequences, but Google really don't like many urls
> that have the same content as it is considered as search engine spam.
>
> If old pages are left in place, they will not be removed from search engines
> and visitors may miss the new content.

I would remove the original pages, noting the paths and figuring out the
new URLs of the TYPO3 generated pages. And if you are using Apache, you
could then just add to your .htaccess file:

RedirectPermanent /old-page.html http://<domain>/new-typo3-page.html

Add this right after the RewriteEngine On and before any other
RewriteRule. This way these requests won't ever come to TYPO3: Apache
will instruct the browser or search-engine that this document has a new
URL (the browser will then be redirected to the new page).

Cheers,
Ernesto