[Typo3] Zap the Gremlins - report them!!!!

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Wed Oct 26 15:13:38 CEST 2005

Hey Michael!

>Hi Ries!
>

>>>BTW, back to system extensions. Are they never ever going to be
>>>patched or upgraded until the next version of TYPO comes out? If they
>>>are, how in the world are we going to access them? By downloading an
>>>extra 30 megs of TYPO 3.8.1, 3.8.2 etc?
>>>

>>I did had a small discussion about that on typo3-dev and unfortunatly
>>they made that dissission to do it like that.
>>

>Come on, this is a logical step! How else could we make sure that everything
>is up to date and working together with no conflicts?

I really understand the step towards that direction, don't get me wrong
but unfortunatly it can hurt some people,
make them confusing etc etc etc. We haven't seen (or did I miss it?)
any  notification about this. Such a thing is big enough
to make it news for the cummunity (I do read the RSS feeds).
And I also told this guy about these extention and the are tight
intergrated in version of typo3.... Or wasn't I clear enough?
(I just scanned news.typo3.org, I didn't see it mentioned).

>>For me and properly you it feels like the M$ way of patching, isn't it?
>>

>Oh, it would be no problem to prepare patch files instead of the whole
>download. Would you really use that?

If the system is automated (in de BE) yes. I live in Latin America and
fortunatly I have fast internet
($300,-/month for 512Kbit/256kbit) Most people in my office do of a
modem conenction to the internet.
So downloading a 30Meg src file is not always a option...... Don't
forget there are really a lot of people
that still have modem connections. So heaving a patch system could have
been nice...
Again, I do understand........

>>Just download the whole 'OS' again to fix small issues...
>>

>I think that implies that "small issues" only happen in indexed_search. This
>is wrong!

I was ranting to make things clear, sorry about that.....

>>But we have to deal with it.... remember it's still free and quite a lot
>>of people using typo3 make business out of free software...
>>

>I think everybody is open for constructive feedback. But often it seems to
>me that people just forgot some things to consider.
>
>- michael

I think I wasn't clear in myself here and I was trying to be
constructive telling the guy why it was removed
and what the reason was, I didn't make a mess about it on typo3-dev?

I love typo3 for all it mostly Is  and sometimes not is.
As far I have seen it's one of the best OS CMS system out there that can
do quite a number of things (after all I use it).
AND I im always on #typo3 in freenode to give people a hand with there
problems which is my way if giving back (appart
from heaving a few small extentions...) to #typo3.

About this message....:
I think when one of the core developers sees such a message, you, Kasper
or who ever should have jumped into (my?) place
and explain the situation, maby in a new message so it's clear.
Changes in typo3 in general are not always clear the normals users.....

Michael, other core develoeprs Kasper,
Sometimes it seems that we 'like' to be negative about typo3, or
decission making that's in most cases (for me not at least) not true.
Don't forget that this IS a writing media, we can't show, express
feelings very well and sometimes text read more negative then it should.
I love typo3, it can do most things I want it to do and yes I have some
point where I am negative about but I have that with everything
(my car, (damn car won't start in the winter, Windows BSOD, Linux (Hmmm
can't think of any...), Debian (Still no stable release Grrrrr),
Windows (BSOD again....), Office (where the hell is my doc after
crash...), Office (why did the change buttons again?), mySQL (
Damn SQL is not conform to standards......, Postgresql (Seems like slow
in this query....), PHPEclipse (How the hell can I debig my app with 1.1.7),

I can go on ofcourse....
But I keep on using the producst because I like them.......

Michael,  thanks for the response, I try to be more constructive next
time...

Have a nice day,
Ries van Twisk