[Typo3] Blank Space help

Michelle Heizer michelle at typo3.us
Sat Oct 22 22:15:51 CEST 2005

On Sat, 2005-10-22 at 12:54 +0200, JoH wrote:
> Answers should be:
>
> polite [ ]
> competent [ ]
> free of charge [ ]
>
> choose two ...

Woah... This was completely uncalled for. I was going to let your long
rant go, but I don't want other newbies to get the wrong impression.

This statement goes against everything TYPO3 stands for -- sharing and
community. I've actually been hearing a lot of complaints, both on and
off list about the mailing list and I didn't realize how bad it was
until now. This type of thing could seriously damage T3's reputation. I
have volunteered many hours over the years to promote and spread T3, but
if new people are pushed away when they ask for help, what is the point?

Joey, I think you may have been around here too long because you seem to
be getting frustrated with everyone's questions. Just because a newbie
asks about something that you've heard "a thousand times" before doesn't
mean you can take your frustration out on them. They won't understand
why you are frustrated and it will just push them away. Remember, it's
new to them and we were all newbies once. We want to encourage more
newbies, because, if we get more people interested in learning TYPO3,
they can contribute back to the mailing list and you won't have to worry
about answering the same newbie questions.

So let's keep it "polite" (always), "competent" (answering to the best
of your ability), and "free of charge" because that was what the English
mailing list was set up for. If you don't like that, maybe you should
start a separate mailing list that has these rules clearly posted. How
about a newsgroup called "typo3-sink-or-swim? :)

Michelle