[Typo3] Blank Space

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 20:55:17 CEST 2005

On 22/10/05, Stephen Page <stephen at stephenpage.com> wrote:
> I had noticed the HTML, I chose not to add this to my question so as
> to a) keep it short and b) I wasnt sure that this was actually caused
> by HTML in a file or HTML generated by Typo3 itself and that some
> misc option wasnt to blame. Hence I asked a valid intelligent question.

So which is it? First you were asking an admittedly imprecise question
to 'test' the answers you got or something:

> >> Actually I did notice this but CHOSE not to mention it, so as to see
> >> what the responses were.

...and now you've changed your mind about that?

Anyway, the point is that questions must be _specific_ in order to be
answered intelligently, and they should include any relevant
information you have. Html/css rendering problems should be diagnosed
_in advance_ and presented as part of the question -- otherwise,
there's not necessarily any way of knowing whether your problem is
even Typo3-related (and, IMHO, it's not reasonable to expect people on
a CMS mailing list to debug broken html/css pages...)

With respect to your point (a), there's no need to omit information
germane to the solution of your problem for the sake of brevity -- the
list rules [1], for example do ask that questions be brief, but also
recommend posting a relevant code sample, or even (in the case of
install-related questions), the output of phpinfo (Incidentally, the
list rules _also_ ask that you don't top-quote...)

There're lots of people here who are happy to help out with problems,
but if you don't provide them with good information, you make it a lot
harder for them to help you.

-Christopher