[Typo3] Blank space

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Sat Oct 22 15:18:54 CEST 2005

>>> All I can say in my defence was that this was a standard Typo3
>>> template so if it is that badly coded, well, that is Typo3 to blame!
>
> I thought I would be safe staying with their demo template to begin
> with, alas not.

Well - if you just want to find out how TYPO3, TypoScript, templates and
wraps work, the static templates (or maybe the testsite package) are a good
place to start from.
But if it comes to valid XHTML/CSS code these templates _and_ the testsite
are definitely depreciated.
They have been created years ago, when everybody used things like nested
tables clear.gif and <font face="dirty" size="reallybig" color="muddy">
tags.

The waste code on your page for example is created as a "wrap" for a header.
The coder of the template (should be the BUSINESS template?) simply didn't
care about things happening, when there is no header at all. So the empty
wrap stays in place. A more flexible approach would have been using
TypoScript to _check_ if there is something to wrap _before_ wrapping. All
these things can get very annoying, so my personal advice is: Don't use the
static templates for your final output! It will take you more time to fix
them to fit your needs than it would take to create a new one _and_ you will
never get any valid output with these templates.

> I will delve deeper and as suggested do some reading up and create my
> own template.

Good choice ;-)

and good luck.

Joey