[Typo3] Helping new users - was [menu item image gets cut off or truncated]

Vincent typo3 at crel.us
Sat Oct 22 07:27:30 CEST 2005

On Fri, Oct 21, 2005 at 09:52:56AM +0000, Erik Svendsen wrote:
> One problem in your case could be that very few are using the static templates
> in TYPO3. They are more ore less obsolete, and my opinion is that they should
> have been deleted from the package. I have never used them. There are better
> and easier ways to get a site up and running.

> There has been an discusion about having an template extension with different
> TemplaVoila templates. But so long not any results. But there are some very
> easy solution to get a site up and running i 5 minutes. The solution i called
> TemplaVoila. TemplaVoila has a wizard, where you can use any (X)HTML template
> to make the site (even pick one from the web). Every free template on the
> web could serve as a TYPO3 template. Using it together with the manual Futuristic
> Template building, you are on your way.

Thanks for the info.  That sounds pretty cool.  I will look more into
TemplaVoila (How do you say that anyway? If it is in the docs, I'm sure
I will discover it :-)).  I had seen TemplaVoila mentioned in the docs
and on other sites several times, but it appeared that it substantially
modified the BackEnd.  I did not think that was a good idea as I was
learning because all the tutorials seemed to be based on the standard
BE.  Also I wasn't sure it was ready for new users.  When I looked at
the docs in "TemplaVoila! > Introduction", the "What does it do?" link
has no info.  There is also no info in the users manual section.
I briefly glanced at the Futuristic Template Building manual after your
comment and it looks like what I probably need.  Thank you for the info.
I will go study it.

> What I really think is missing in the documentation is a new getting
> started manual, who are updated with these new and easy ways to get up
> and running. This could helped people to start, and also helped them
> to find templates to use.

Yes, I studied the "Getting Started" tutorial and watched the quickstart
video and studied the "Modern Template Building, Part 1" document.  They
were both very helpful in learning my way around.  I can see that Kasper
put a lot of work in them.  But there is no clear path defined from
there to guide you in creating a new site from scratch.  For example,
I didn't know that most people considered the standard templates
obsolete and did not use them until you mentioned it.

So, I agree.  A getting started manual that summarized the different
paths to take and the pros and cons to each for example would be very
helpful.  I would then probably rename the current "Getting Started" to
something more like "Introduction to Typo3".  But, that's just a thought
off the top of my head :-).

Although, for a site where excessive flexibility is not needed, one or
two of the standard templates that were based on only typoscript looked
like they might be pretty useful.  Where you can get a site up fast and
customize the whole thing through the constant editor and not have to
create any html templates.  I will probably play around a little more
with that as well.

--
Avoid the VeriSign/Network Solutions domain registration trap!
Read how Network Solutions (NSI) was involved in stealing our domain name.