[Typo3] translation in extension's locallang utf-8

Timothy Ding tding at 1688.com
Thu Oct 20 23:17:09 CEST 2005

Dear List,

I am seeking guidance for steps to translate language in extension's
$LOCAL_LANG array value

- website charset is set to utf-8
- website has only one language which is in chinese
- in localconf.php: $TYPO3_CONF_VARS['BE']['forceCharset'] = "utf-8";

Content Element in chinese displays correctly but I see translation
problem when using locallang's values from the extensions.

Since there's only one language, i changed fields for the default
values to chinese in utf-8 but browser output resulted with junk
characters. I also tried changing extension's locallang.php into
unicode which make thing worst. I am sure i did something wrong but
what, can someone shed some light?

$LOCAL_LANG = Array (
     'default' => Array (
         'username' => 'chinese in utf-8:',
         'missing_username' => 'chinese in utf-8!',
         'password' => 'chinese in utf-8', ....

the extension i am using is "sr_feuser_register" & "newloginbox"
beta website : http://218.206.71.235:81/testsite/index.php?id=19

many many thanks in advance,
TimDing