[Typo3] Multiple alias'

Oliver oliver at liquidlight.co.uk
Thu Oct 20 14:37:33 CEST 2005

Hi Tyler,

Please see my comments bellow:

Tyler Kraft wrote:
> more kind of thoughts related to this...
>
> 1. do you have to enter the full path in the new box each time even if
> you do not want a path (just want to use same alias)

Not too sure I understand exactly what you mean, but Alias Pro can
handle 'path' (ie: /about_us/company/), 'file' (contact.html) and
combined (ie: /about_us/our_clients.html) aliases.

> 2. requires rewrite rules which we can't implement on the doze server
> (running IIS) without some serious changes

Well that's one of the downsides of using IIS. I don't have too much
experience using IIS in a production environment but it's rather
appalling if such a simple feature can't be implemented easily.
Especially considering that even simple *nix httpd servers like lighttpd
handle this out of the box.

> 3. what overhead does the extn introduce for page generation?

We've got Alias Pro running on live sites which serve in excess of
150,000 page views a month. CPU cycles are cheap these days, I would not
worry about this too much :)

> Tyler Kraft wrote:
>
>> Yeah we looked at that but it had some problems and don't think it
>> would work for what we want:
>>
>> - its beta - are there know problems?

We've been using Alias Pro (and a few custom variants of it, in order to
handle 404 pages correctly) on production sites for the last 6 months
without any trouble.

Best regards,

Oliver