[Typo3] Mailing lists, newsservers, forums and other animals.

Dimitri Tarassenko mitka at mitka.us
Mon Oct 17 04:14:37 CEST 2005

Hi Michael,

On 10/16/05, Michael Stucki <michael at typo3.org> wrote:
> I guess the reason for this is very simple: A forum is ready in 30 minutes
> while the newsserver took several weeks until it was running like it is
> now. A newsserver (especially INN) is ugly complicated and I think this is
> why nobody wants to provide it (even Sourceforge doesn't).

Hmm. And that's exactly the reason why _we_ should? Unless it is a
specific Typo3 tradition to do things in the most complicated way
possible (which kind of rings true;), I fail to see how this is the
reason _not_ to do a forum.

BTW, has anyone had any experience with M2F -
http://www.mail2forum.com/wiki/Main_Page or XOOPS' CM2F? They both
seem to do exactly what we are looking for.

> However, I have not seen anyone who prefers mailing lists over newsgroups
> once he knew about it (can't compare with forum users).

Sorry, Michael, you can't use this argument anymore;) Because here is
me, I tried and I prefer mailing lists. But then again, I have been
proven to be an "irrelevant" statistical fluctuation;).

> > True, that's why I am not saying "let's scrap" newsgroups. I am saying
> > "let's build a forum that would sync to them".
>
> OK, so let's do that! You are welcome to join the discussion in
> typo3.teams.typo3org. Currently, our biggest problem is that there doesn't
> seem to be a software that fits all our needs.

Can you quickly sum up what's wrong with M2F?

> > How about the fact that, say, install-linux only has the stuff
> > starting Jan 2005? (Last time I checked).
> This is true. However the old posts are stored and will be published again
> as we have found a solution to publish.

How about ... pipermail??? If it worked and still works for 2005, why
can't it work for 2004?

> > And that's probably the key to the problem.
>
> The key to the problem is that this extension (yes there is one) is terribly
> slow. If anyone wants to make it faster, please go ahead (the extension is
> called "maillisttofaq").

Has anyone considered _NOT_ writing the extension (ooooh, blashpemy!
there's gotta be an extension for everything) and just editing
pipermail's templates so it would look like the rest of typo3.org?
This is exactly what RedHat does for example with their mailing lists.

--
Dimitri Tarassenko