[Typo3] google searchable newsgroups

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Oct 4 14:52:38 CEST 2005

Michael Stucki schrieb am 04.10.2005 10:42:

> I'm currently looking for a good solution to make these newsgroups
> accessible using some web interface. Have a look at

Why not make it accessible through the Google-Groups web interface,
which was the original thread-starter? It has a very nice interface, its
very good to search and browse.

Condition would be the have a "widely propagated Usenet newsgroup":
http://groups.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=7919

I wonder if all these groups listed here are "widely propagated Usenet
newsgroups": http://groups.google.com/groups/dir?sel=33554433

PostgreSQL already is using Google Groups for archieving its mailing lists:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-announce/2004-12/msg00002.php

Their newsgroup is being streamed through Usenet. I don't think it would
hurt us to do the same for the TYPO3 lists. Any post is already being
archieved publicily, so the privacy issues are the same as we already
have (e.g.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=de&q=site%3Alists.netfielders.de+%22elmar+hinz%22)

> A solution would be some little dummy form that submits a search to Google
> by adding the "site:lists.netfielders.de" parameter. I'll ask Robert to do
> that.

That's an easy form of searching, but sometimes you want to perform more
"complex" searches. Like:

* getting the results ordered by posting date
* just searching the subjects
* just posts by a specific author
* following a whole thread that extends past one single month
* ...

All of which is not possible in standard fulltext search for mailman
pipermail, but possible e.g. at google groups. And as a nice side
effect, you benefit from any new feature that google adds to its
service: you don't have to maintain the web interface.

Cheers,
Ernesto