[Typo3] Better RTE

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 22:58:11 CET 2005

Hi,

On 26/11/05, Scotty C <superscotty19 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I knew you'd ask me that! hahaha
> It's been a while since I've used it (and yes, I used
> the current version), but I seem to recall some major
> formatting issues. It treated *everything* as being
> enclosed in a <p> tag.
>
> Perhaps I only needed to modify a css file or
> something, but in my opinion, if I have to do that,
> then we're defeating the point of something that is
> meant to make life easier.

I've never had this particular problem. The RTEs are _all_ tricky to
configure, but the HtmlArea RTE has a superb manual explaining the
configuration options. It's simply a case of going through all the
config options in the manual once or twice and getting one install set
up the way you like. By limiting the toolbar options available to
editors--and making sure you set the Mozilla/IE-related config options
correctly--it's quite possible to enable non-technical editors to
create pristine markup with the RTE.

When I arrived at a configuration that I thought was generally
applicable to my clients' needs, I just created a small extension with
the appropriate TSconfig and TS properties, so that, now, configuring
the RTE on a new site takes five seconds to install the configuration
extension plus fifteen or twenty minutes spent overriding specific
settings from the extension and (if needed) creating a custom
stylesheet to control the appearance of text in the RTE.

-Christopher