[Typo3] RTE replaces <div> with <p>

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Sun May 22 22:34:48 CEST 2005

>>> It will have the result you seek.  The only potential problem left
>>> then is that a <p class="bodytext"> tag is added to table cells.
>>> That can/will mess up tables.
>>
>> Why?
>>
>> td p.bodytext {padding:0;margin:0;}
>>
>> ...(or some variation) in your stylesheet should fix that problem,
>> even if the paragraph elements can't be prevented from appearing in
>> table cells...
>>
> This code in hrmlArea RTE will be broken on the web page:
> style="border-width: 0pt; text-align: left; vertical-align: middle;
> width: 100%;">
>         <tbody>
>
>    .... blah ...
>
>         </tbody>
>
> The result on my site is (this is with "remapTag >" in the
>     typoscript): <table cellspacing="10" cellpadding="1" border="0"
> style="border-width: 0pt; text-align: left; vertical-align: middle;
> width: 100%;" class="contenttable">
>         <tbody>
>
>    .... blah ...
>
>         </tbody>
>
> Typo3 think it's better to have some <p> and </p> scattered all over
> the table.
> I would like to have no transformations a all between the content of
> the RTE, the MySQL database and the output.  Is this an option?

Well - once and for all:
RTE is an acronym for _Rich TEXT Editor_!

It's been created not for tables, not for pictures, not for bulletlists and
not for all the other stuff most of the people tend to be dropping into it.
It's for Text elements and the corresponding markups like strong, em and it
might be used for links from the text to other elements, pages and URLs -
but that's it!

TYPO3 is a content management system that offers lots of different content
elements for all the other stuff.

If you want to insert such a horrible piece of HTML-code (and believe me:
you should think it over again!) you should use a content element called
HTML for that.

So don't blame the RTE if it's reformatting this code in a way you don't
like.
The simple reason is that an RTE is not the right tool for the job and you
are expecting too much here ...

Joey

BTW:
There are other nice features you won't get when using the RTE:
Splitting up the different paragraphs you inserted via RTE up to now into
different content elements (one for each paragraph) will give you the
possibility to:
- Sort the paragraphs using the list module.
- Use different visibility settings for each paragraph.
- Edit each paragraph seperately (after hiding it) while the other
paragraphs stay visible
- Copy or move single paragraphs to other pages

Dieter Nuhr, German comedian
openBC: http://www.openbc.com/go/invuid/Jo_Hasenau