[Typo3] Strategy for page templates... help needed.

Tyler Kraft headhunterxiii at yahoo.ca
Fri May 6 14:18:05 CEST 2005

Ok so I seemed to have started this flurry of fury - fine but these are
points that irritate me and probably many other users!

Yes this is a free mailing list. But so is the CMS and ALL the
extensions, AND ALL the FREE help from this FREE list.  So next time
maybe accept what experienced users tell you and go back and look again
at the documentation.

Amir, you are being rude, end of story. Nobody said you were stupid.  In
fact again go back and read because I said that the only thing us
experienced users have is time over you.  We have all read the
documentation so why shouldn't you?

As far as the documentation not helping - you were pointed out the
answer by me and several others, and you then seemed to have taken a
belligerent tone. To bad as well because I think you've probably just
created a sh*t load of animosity towards yourself, and alienated
yourself from help by a large contingency of the very valuable users and
the main individuals on this ML.

But the documentation being bad... then quite bitching and do something
about it! VOLUNTEER YOUR HELP AND TIME!!!  You get for FREE a top notch
CMS with a brilliant core development team devoted to improving it, and
expanding it, and a large amount of flexibility all backed by a group of
experienced users who normally offer their help (but like I said I think
you might have just lost that). So throw your hand in also, write
something that helps, even if its a list of the little things that you
think the documentation needs or needs to improve.  But then don't just
give it to somebody to do something with, start doing something with it.
  Volunteer with the doc group for a start.  Like I said you will be
reading a lot probably and getting to talk to the people about what is
going on in there documents, seeking clarity for the written word.  But
no wait I forgot you even stated that you don't want to read that much...

Francesco di Francia makes a good point (btw cool name!). Maybe, just
maybe though, its an unwise and foolish thing to be rude to the very
people who you ask and want help from.  Oliver wasn't being rude, he
offered you a good idea, check if there is a group near you.  BUT
instead of saying thanks where can I do that, you were asinine to him.
So now he has publicly stated here on this list that he will not help
you... seeing as he is a very prominent and useful person on this list
that was a dumb thing to do I think.  But hey again what do I know about
  this, most of my few questions seem to get answered here.

As far as your ability to research, what was hard about rereading the
section pointed out to you?  It clearly stated, and not only that area
but the introduction of the manual also, that you could do what you
asked.  So, with something this direct, how can I not question your
ability to research?  And if your not going to read the manual, then I
think maybe everyone should get a profit share of any revenue from your
site, as we are the ones who actually are doing the difficult part.  And
its not like we don't help either.  For god sake I'm the one who went
off topic and informed you not only of a flaw in your CSS but what was
wrong and what you needed to do to correct it. BTW your welcome.

As far as reading your posts - I read all the posts on several lists,
which is why every day more and more of this CMS makes more and more
sense.  It is the only way to learn anything.  If you went to university
would you purchase your grades or read and learn to answer the questions
and exams?  You HAVE to read lots of posts and documentation.  And its
not like it takes that much of your time either.  I mean really, I work
full time and go to university full time doing an Mechanical Engineering
Masters so its not as if I have lots of extra time to just sit around
and read these posts for fun.

So Amir, this isn't me being rude in fact I'm not even bothered about
this at all, but its just me being bold faced and brutally honest with
you.  If you want others here to figure out and hold your hand on what
are the most simple things, spend the money. As Michael said most of us
give back for all we get here.  If that's not an option, learn how to be
respectful and polite to the people who are trying to help you, or else
do what we have all done - READ, READ, READ.

AS Kasper says 'seeks help' but don't think we are about to hold your
hand. There is a reason for the mailing archives, How Tos, and FAQs!
ITS FOR USERS TO... wait wait here it comes... DO RESEARCH ON THINGS
THEY NEED TO LEARN TO DO!!!  A fascinating concept, really. Investigate
it, it just might change your opinion why we all get so annoyed by posts
like yours.  They make it hard to find information.

And with that I'm not helping you here any more I'm just pontificating.
You know what we think you need to do- read the documents (yes all of
them if need be!), user groups, archives, FAQs...

As my gran says 'Like it or lump it'

tk