[Typo3] Typo3 vs Plone. What are strenghts and weaknesses?

Michael Scharkow mscharkow at gmx.net
Fri May 6 09:22:13 CEST 2005

Hi Robert and * ;)

robert rottermann wrote:

> I would like to extend this with some additional parts:
> II.   Make the System multilingual
>    Provide a multilingual UI and multilingual content

Yeah, I forgot that and remembered it just today.

> III. Creating of a project group. This is an environment where a group
> can meet, communicate and collaborate on documents.
>     Some group leader should be able to invite members into this group
> and assigning them roles with different access rights.
>        - Manager (can do everything within the group but not outside)
>        - Member (can create and edit documents)
>        - Guest ( can view documents)
>        - Rest can do nothing
>    Providing a group calendar
>       Each group should have its on calendar where it manages its events
> and facilities
>    Each portal user should be able to join as many groups as he likes to
> (or is invited into) and play a different role in each of them

Wheeee, now we're getting into the depths of what TYPO3 is designed to
be and what not. I'm glad I get to do this in Plone and not T3 ;) This
is because your group concept does work in Plone but not in TYPO3. In
TYPO3 we have have backend groups for editing which do have permissions
like you described but for viewing stuff, a different set of users
(frontend users) is required. This is because TYPO3 is not a portal
system but rather an editorial system. So a more generic approach:

1. Have a restricted environment for teams to collaborate on documents
and events.
2. Make restricted environments visible for some people but not others.

>      IV. Access to some legacy system

Whatever this is. Fine with me.

>> What we need now is a target site which we try to implement, right?
>>
> Yes, do you have an idea?

Not really. We could host an imaginary sports club or a NGO which should
cover nearly all the items mentioned here.

Greetings,
Michael

PS: If you think we can give it a go, just pm me, and we'll see how to
get things set up.