[Typo3] Typo3 vs Plone. What are strenghts and weaknesses?

robert rottermann robert at redcor.ch
Fri May 6 07:18:32 CEST 2005

Michael,
I hope your Exams went well.
Yes I am still interested.

Michael Scharkow wrote:
> robert wrote:
>> Anoop,
>> thanks "for tuning in".
>>
>> I seems that I can not wait till my request to lengthen the day an
>> other coupple of hours is granted..
>> I am awaiting Michaels suggestions. In any case I intend to start the
>> blog this week.
>
> Hi Robert,
>
> I was very busy with exams the past weeks, but I am still interested.
> I see you are having common session with Dominic Brander at Orbit
> Expo, so are you still evaluating or planning to do so? If yes, I post
> a few ideas here, so interested parties (hi, Anoop) can join in.
>
> If we're going to test a full-featured site, I imagine several parts
> (please extend this)
>
> 1. Installation and getting to "Hello World" running
> 2. Creating and moving content around, using different content types
> 3. Customizing the output (Design, Menus, Content Elements)
> 5. Setting up users and permissions
> 6. Creating a workflow for a common edit/review/publish cycle
> 7. Getting a news system and a forum or guestbook to run (=install
> extensions/products)
> 8. Tweaking and tuning for production sites

I would like to extend this with some additional parts:
II.   Make the System multilingual
    Provide a multilingual UI and multilingual content
III. Creating of a project group. This is an environment where a group
can meet, communicate and collaborate on documents.
     Some group leader should be able to invite members into this group
and assigning them roles with different access rights.
        - Manager (can do everything within the group but not outside)
        - Member (can create and edit documents)
        - Guest ( can view documents)
        - Rest can do nothing
    Providing a group calendar
       Each group should have its on calendar where it manages its
events and facilities
    Each portal user should be able to join as many groups as he likes
to (or is invited into) and play a different role in each of them

IV. Access to some legacy system

> What we need now is a target site which we try to implement, right?

Yes, do you have an idea?

I include the German zope/plone mailing list, since a number of their
members did express an interest in such a project.
Robert

PS:If I try to answer a message with the typo3.english news group in the
"to" list, I can not send the answer (I get a can not send to thenews
server). Must be a browser setting but I find nothin I could tweak. I am
using thunderbird. Any ideas?