[Typo3] Generating output from an extension/DB using templates

christian oettinger christian.oettinger at gmx.de
Sun May 1 17:42:32 CEST 2005

It's rather impossible to help you out, for we don't see nothing of your
code, but I'll talk a bit in general: It all depends how you created
your extension.

If you kickstarted it, you get a complete running framework. In
extension kicksarter you can (and have to) create a Frontend-plugin for
putting out code in the frontend. The code for this plugin is then
written by kickstarter in the folder pi1.

As an example:

Say you called your extension "management" and you created it wiht
kickstarter. You set up general info, at least one database table with
at least one field, and at least one Frontend-Plugin.

you get a folder "management" in folder ext in folder typo3conf
(usually, i.e. when you installed locally not globally)

insisde you have:

ext_tables.sql to set tables and fields for the mysql-Databse
tca.php to configure your database tables and fields inside typo3
ext_tables.php to further configure your tables for typo3
ext.localconf.php for adding TSonfig
locallang.php and locallang_db.php for naming your tables and fields (in
different languages if you like)

and the folder pi1
this folder contians everything you need for your plugin that controls
the output in FE:

class.management_pi1.php: the file that controls what happens
locallang.php (see above, but for your plugin)
folder static for TS-Code for the Plugin

If you don't have kickstarted your extension or if you don't have this
setup I can't really help, I don't know the step by step for creating an
extension without kickstarter. But this surely is Pro-work, so I would
suggest that you use kickstarter wizard to create a second extension and
just compare code.

(And there are some quite good documentation for kickstarter wizard in
the documentation->video section on typo3.org)

greetings from munich

oe (christian)