[Typo3] Paragraph Bug?

Christopher tombedlam at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 25 19:28:00 CET 2005

Hello again,

--- Robert Markula <robert.markula at gmx.net> wrote:
> Christopher wrote:
> (...)
> >>The second flaw is that each linebreak in the backend becomes a new
> >>paragraph in the frontend. IMHO this should be a simple <br /> instead,
>
> >>because a paragraph has semantically another meaning.
> >>A new paragraph is usually indicated by an empty line in the Backend.
> (...)
> > This might be a stupid question, but do you know how to type <br /> and
> type
> > [SHIFT-RETURN] and a carriage return (<p>) when you type [RETURN]. As
> far
> > as I'm able to tell, Typo3's RTE transformations conform to this
> convention
> > (but, as Oliver suggested, check the 'doNotConvert' setting...)
>
> Hi Christopher,
> You're right, but here's where various editors differ. E.g. in
> wikipedia, a linebreak entered with the return key is ignored; and a
> paragraph is created by a blank line. Other editors encapsulate the
> whole text in one big paragraph, handling line breaks with <br /> and a
> blank line with <br /><br />.
> Other editors like the one in Typo3 treat every linebreak as a new
> paragraph.
>
> Is there any standard that defines some behaviour in this case?
>
> I'm asking because a paragraph is normally defined as a block of text
> that is textual related and, according to html specs, can contain any
> number of linebreaks.
> So according to this statement, a linebreak inside a paragraph should be

I actually think what defines the actual characters inserted by
[return]/[shift-return] is the way the OS treats html textareas. However,
Typo3 processes the input, and can be configured to convert - or not to

As Oliver suggested in his reply, you may need to add this

RTE.default.proc {
dontConvBRtoParagraph = 1
}

to the TSconfig field in the page header of your root page.

-Christopher

[1] http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_core_tsconfig/Introduction-56/