[Typo3] Website Very Slow in IE but fast in Firefox

Dirk Steins steins at netcologne.de
Wed Mar 16 13:41:37 CET 2005

Hi,

at Wednesday, March 16, 2005, 1:04:57 PM, Sandy wrote:

> Can anyone suggest why our website might be so slow in Internet
> Explorer?

> Initially we thought the problem was the size of the menus and changed
> these. This has reduced the code on most pages by something like 2000
> lines - but the pages are still slow. In fact in IE6 they almost
> appear to stop.

> Take a look at:
> http://portsmouth.anglican.org/info.html and any of the sub-pages.

> In IE6 the status bar says 'Done' fairly quickly, the blue loading
> indicator on the status bar goes virtually to 100% and then stops and
> the page locks for anything up to 3-4 seconds! And I am using 2mb
> Broadband!

> Why would IE seem to load almost everything and then stop for seconds?

> Any help or ideas gratefully received.

If you open the task manager you see that IE is not loading the page,
it is rendering the page and consuming 100% of the CPU for a few
seconds. There is something wrong with your page, that's for sure,
because that is no normal behaviour. The HTML validator has some
complaints, but not so much. But a few i would fix.

Ok, now how to find the offensive part. Save the page as a complete
HTML file using IE. Open the HTML file with an editor, and remove part
after part and check if it loads better. If it loads better, you have
found the reason.

It could also be in your CSS, maybe there's too much in it for IE. I
didn't look at it, maybe you should check that too.

HTH.

 Cheers, Dirk
mailto:steins at netcologne.de