[Typo3] frames and templavoila

Joe Kralicky joe2004 at kralicky.com
Fri Mar 4 19:21:00 CET 2005

JoH wrote:
>>Flash is cached by the browser so wouldn't have to "reload" as such.
>>Also you can pass the flash movie a variable telling it to skip any
>>preload sequence for sub-pages - flash can communicate with PHP so you
>>can store sessions variables... There are a lot of ways around this
>>without resorting to frames - look at the Macromedia site - flash
>>movies and HTML and not a frame in site!!
>

> One thing can't be done without frames:
> The flash movie will not stay playing on top of the page while the rest of
> the page reloads.
> So it will restart in any case, even though you might skip some sequences.

Correct.  I think this is what they want - don't restart the sequence
each page reload.
But maybe we can set session variables from the flash plugin to detect
the state and not start from the beginning each time.

> And of course this is one thing frames are meant for: Reloading only
> portions of the page while the rest stays in place.
> Since using frames (and those "evil" tables) is not forbidden and even part
> of XHTML compliance, why not use them when it makes sense?
>
> Joey

Thank you both for the options.  In any case I am still open to the
frame based approach if a good one exists.  I'll mention the flash
session stuff to my people and see what they think.

Joe