[Typo3] frames and templavoila

Kester Hynds kester at featherbelly.com
Fri Mar 4 20:20:00 CET 2005

No worries - just a couple of comments on the use of frames.

Frames are deprecated now and for very good reason...

- They are terrible for search engine optimization
- They cause a lot navigation issues
- They cause accessibility problems (making it imperative to include
"noframes" content and workarounds)
- They are not very good for tight layouts

Have a look here: http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10-HTML-TECHS/#frames

In these modern times of CSS-positioning and table-layout deprecation it
seems like a bad idea to fall back on frames when we have so many better
options. Don't get me wrong - I agree that tables and frames have their
uses. Tables are the only way to layout data for example. And imagine
the Typo3 backend without frames... But the Typo3 back-end is not
designed to be spidered by search engines or used with screen readers!

Anyway - best of luck with your problem and I hope you find a workable
solution.

Have a good weekend! :)