[Typo3] I want 404's !!

Nate Russell nate at chillmost.com
Thu Jun 30 19:03:08 CEST 2005

Christoph Koehler wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I have a problem: I don't get any 404 errors.... Google has some old
> links of my old website that don't exist, but when I  click them I
> always get the main page of my new site, no 404 page. I have realurl
> installed, but even with it disabled in the Template record, it
> doesn't work. The pagenotfound handling part of the localconf.php is
> the string READFILE:fileadmin/templates/404.shtml, with a  file in
> that directory. .htaccess file with and without ErrorDocument stuff
> doesn't work, and neither did the 404[..] extension. It never went to
> the file I specified,  and didn't work most of the time. What am I
> doing wrong? I just want 404's.....
>
> Thanks!
>
> Christoph
We're sitting in the same boat. I have tried everything you did but
haven't gotten much farther. I did put this snippet of code into my
localconf.php file and got the default page error insted of having
realUrl direct the user to the next highest level....

  'postVarSets' => array(
          '_DEFAULT' => array(
                          ),
                      ),
  );// this is the end of the main RealUrl array from way up

$TYPO3_CONF_VARS["FE"]["pageNotFound_handling"]
='index.php?id=pagenotfound';

I went into the install tool to try and configure the 404 page but it
didn't work either. Are you using 3.8.0? I find a lot of little things
are different than what the documentation describes. Let me know if you
get any further.

Nate