[Typo3] unicode today

Sean Ellis sellis at telus.net
Fri Jul 29 18:15:43 CEST 2005

Elmar Hinz wrote:

Ahoy,

>> Does setting '[BE][forceCharset] = utf-8' on an existing typo3 setup
>> mean that the database will need to be converted to use utf-8?
>
> Don't know if [BE][forceCharset] has the effect to transform latin codes
> in the DB to utf8 automatically.

Yes, lots of questions,

> Some search functions on DB level may not work as expected, because
> utf-8 has variing length of chars if the DB isn't informed of it.

and potential pitfalls

> Try and report

I suppose there are a few things that I could try out, but I'm not
comfortable about tinkering with the database server too much if it's
not mandatory; typo3 is not the only database.

I think that the following web page might answer my question, assuming
that it's current. I'm still not entirely comfortable; we will be
hosting some Japanese content, and I'd like to know that I'm making the
right choices.

http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_core_inside/Character_sets/

cheers,

Sean