[Typo3] TYPO3 vs Plone

Simon typo3 at anglings.com
Thu Jul 21 11:49:00 CEST 2005

A couple of people have noticed that I've used both Plone and TYPO3.
I've been meaning to write something for a while about my experiences
and now a message over on the t.dev has reminded me.

I'm not sure I the right person to analyse this. I'm not a professional
web developer and really can't comment much on the deeper aspects of OO
development, application frameworks, PHP vs Python, etc

However, a couple of years back I was looking for an Open Source CMS. I
looked at a lot of products including TYPO3. In the end the vague
criteria that I used to make the decision was probably along the lines of:
1 How easy was it to install?
2 What did it look like?

Setting up Plone on a Windows machine was easier than Typo3. A single
installer could install everything needed and give you a dummy website.
Typo3 needed more configuration and things like ImageMagick needed to be
installed separately. The configuration of TYPO3 seemed more daunting!

As for what it looked like. Typo3 is very intimidating at first view -
lots and lots of small buttons. The Zope/Plone interface is probably a
bit friendlier at first sight.

The major influencer was one of instant gratification. With Plone all I
needed to do was to change the logo in the design and I had an instant
website that looked reasonably professional (how many Plone based site
have we seem like that). From there I could simply start tweaking CSS to
modify the site to look less Plone-like.

Typo3 came with a not so nice (in my opinion) football site based on
framesets. To get beyond that position one had to start learning about
TypoScript, etc. Even now with TemplaVoila one has to do quite a lot of
work to get to a workable site.

In fact I think that is probably the single most important point that I
could make is that TYPO3 should come with a high quality XHTML based
template out of the box that is easily customizable through CSS.

The main reason for my coming back to TYPO3 and trying again is that I
really wanted a product based upon PHP and MySQL as that was what I was
most comfortable with. I’m still getting my head around it but my first
TYPO3 website has come out OK so far – http://www.ccsit.co.za

I doubt I will look back from this point on. I am busy working on my
first extension for TYPO3 and am enjoying the community and high quality
of documentation (I'd love some detailed extension/kickstart
documentation though.

Cheers,
Simon