[Typo3] text-based language menu (from HMENU)

Mark mark at zapadinform.com
Wed Jan 26 12:04:48 CET 2005

> I don't know how you realise the multilingual site, but the usual
> one-tree-concept is:
> Create a page and give it a title
> Create translations of that page and give them a translated title
> Use the title field for any kind of menu you like
> The nav_title field isn't even touched by this, so it will be available to
> solve the problem with "English" linking to "Home".
> By default the nav_title field isn't available for translations, so you
> might abuse the subtitle here.

Hmmm. I'm doing the multilingual sites as you describe, but putting the
translated language menus in the "Navigation Title" field and it comes up as
a translated menu just fine. I did try the approach you mentioned, but the
translated fields came up in the language menu as menu items.

I'll continue using the subtitle field as it does the same thing from what I
gather.

But isn't there a simpler, more global way of doing this?

Going back to the code:

subparts.LANGUAGE = HMENU
subparts.LANGUAGE.wrap = <div align="right"><font size=-3 style="normal"> |
subparts.LANGUAGE.special = language
subparts.LANGUAGE.special.value = 0,1,2
subparts.LANGUAGE.1 = TMENU
subparts.LANGUAGE.1.NO {
  stdWrap.field = subtitle
  linkWrap = |*| |&nbsp;&#124;&nbsp; || |&nbsp;&#124;&nbsp; || |&nbsp; |*|
  target = page
}
subparts.LANGUAGE.1.ACT {
  target = page
}

For example, is it possible instead of using "subtitle", to use the field
for the language code (is there one? What is it?), then put a conditional
statement to write the full word for each language code?