[Typo3] MENU_LAYERS fixed layer position

JoH info at cybercraft.de
Wed Feb 16 17:43:09 CET 2005

> as You will see in the manuals the HMENU doesn't have a wrap property
> not even any property with wrap as datatype!

I don't know which manual we are talking about but there is a table with all
properties of HMENU here:
http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_core_tsref/HMENU-1/

the last two entries are - guess what - "wrap" and "stdWrap"

> of course a little later I imagine that by GMENU_LAYERS (TSref)first
> sentence there is a word "additional properties" that I didn't see
> before, sorry.
>
> But is there any solution to wrap the GMENU_LAYERS items in any case
> into a "<td>"- column? That was my question!
> Once again, how to wrap in a "GMENU_LAYERS" the DIV layers, to let
> them work in table?
>
> Ui: More detail:
> - I have a horizontal GMENU_LAYER in the main navigation (1. level)
> - I want that the second level appears just below each 1. level item
> where it belongs to
> - So I set the relativeToTriggerItem property to 1, but then all of
> the Graphical items will be put into a DIV layer and that means, that
> menu become Vertical
> - So in the TSref there is a Warning to relativeToTriggerItem that
> this will happen I had to put(wrap) them into column in a table, OK I
> understand - I was looking for a wraping property I found (later on)
> in the GMENU propery called wrap, but it failed to put them into
> columns
> my code was:
> relativeToTriggerItem = 1
> wrap = <td> | </td>
> - but instead to put the <td> on every menu item it was put on the
> whole menuitems together, and that's affect nothing

But this is what you did: You wrapped the GMENU with <td>-Tags.
If you want to wrap the item you will have to put the wrap into the items
setup.

NO {
  wrap = <td>|</td>
}

But anyway this is not necessary, since you can stick with your <div>-Tags
and use proper CSS instead.
You say: "all of the Graphical items will be put into a DIV layer and that
means, that menu become Vertical"
I say: Wrong! - You can do almost anything with a DIV using CSS. Just give
it a classname and do what you want.

Ever heard of CSS properties like display:block, display:inline, float:left,
float:right and clear:both?

You can even make <UL>-lists look horizontal just by making the <LI>-tags
"display:inline" ...
Have a look at this working example (no layer-menu though but a horizontal
list menu when you click on the first of the vertical menu items)
http://www.cybercraft.de/index2.htm

Joey