[Typo3] safemode = off but still says safemode = on

Michiel Roos typo3 at monosock.org
Wed Dec 21 15:08:13 CET 2005

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 21:27:43 +0100, RT-Schwabe wrote:

> Hi list,
>

> my provider tells me that safemode is turned off on their servers to run T3
> properly. My T3 configuration tells me that safemode is on....
>
> I have updated from 3.7 to 3.8.1
>
> On the old version AWStats was running without any problems. After the
> update it won't run anymore since it tells me that safemode is on.
>
> Is there a way how I can tell T3 that safemode is actually off? I have no
> access to php.ini or any other server files.
>
> regards
> Thorsten

Thorsten,

If Typo3 says it's on then your provider is probably lying, please
double check your php configuration (phpinfo) page in the install tool to
see who is telling the truth ;-).

There's two kind of safe modes: just plain hard safe_mode and
safe_mode_gid.

You should be fine if the owner you are trying to execute your files as
(probably apache, nobody or something) is the same as the owner of your
awstats script. If it is not, check your permission settings.

safe_mode_gid is more relaxed since it takes group settings into account.

Safe mode ensures that no scripts are executed that apache does not have
execute or read permissions on.

Awstats should work without a hitch if all the stuff it needs is inside
the 'safe_mode_exec_dir', so if it needs perl, it should be accessible
somewhere inside this dir (you know you have a problem if it says
something about safe_mode_exec in the error that php throws at you).

http://nl2.php.net/features.safe-mode

I hope this sheds some more light on the subject.

Cheers,

Michiel