[Typo3] What is the best way to set up a multiple site with subdomains?

Gilles Deacur tronno22556 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 02:26:21 CET 2005

Floyd Arguello wrote:
> Gilles Deacur wrote:
>
>> Michiel Roos wrote:
>>
>>> Gilles,
>>>
>>> Here's what I think should be going on a working setup using multiple
>>> domains in a single Typo3 install on a single IP address;
>>>
>>> - point as many names as you like to put.your.ip.here
>>> - the domain names may also be c-names, doesn't matter as long as the
>>> lowest name points to the webservers IP.
>>

>> What is a "c-name"?
>>
>> All my domains point to my nameserver NS.examplenameserver.com and
>> NS2.examplenameserver.com
>

> cname - canonical name - its a domain name that has an 'A' record... in
> a subdomain sample.domain.tdl, you create a cname 'sample' that points
> to the 'A' record (the IP Address assigned to a domain name), so anyone
> that types sample.domain.tdl will hit the server with that IP Address.
> You then create a record in your webserver config file that lists the
> directives for sample.domain.tdl.
>
> For example, I installed squirrelmail on my server, and wanted to
> associate it with my TYPO3 site. So I created the cname:
>
> mail in CNAME @ (the '@' symbol points to my 'A' record, which is the IP
> address of my server)
>
> I then created a virtual host in my Apache config file:
>
> <VirtualHost server.ip.add.ress:80>
>     ServerName     mail.domain.tdl
>     ServerAdmin    webmaestro at privatepartystrippers.com
>     DocumentRoot   /path/to/squirrelmail
> </VirtualHost>
>
> So when a user navigates to: http://mail.domain.tdl, the request hits
> the nameserver, then the zone file, which says that mail.domain.tdl
> points to this IP address... the user then hits the server, and the
> webserver config file provides the document root associated with the
> domain. The browser then brings up the web files located in the document
> root. (simplified explanation)
>
> If I set the document root to the main domain's root directory, then
> anyone typing in http://mail.domain.tdl would be directed to my TYPO3
> site, but their address would show http://mail.domain.tdl
>
> It looks like Michiel is suggesting that your domains' and subdomains'
> document root should be the same: your TYPO3 site directory
>
> This way, anyone typing in "critterpal.sunshinelocksmith.com" or
> "critterpal.com" will hit the TYPO3 site.
>
>  From there, you would implement his TYPO3 config instructions...
>
> I hope that helps... good luck!
>
> Floyd

I think I have it working.  Somewhat.  I removed the addon domain
"critterpal.com" and made it a Parked Domain instead.  Then I moved my
Typo3 installation from my subdomain folder "admin-maint" into the root
of the site.

The front ends that I configured are working as they should.
www.critterpal.com points right to the proper directory and the
"www.critterpal.com" appears in the URL on every page as it should.

I'm working on a site "www.gisbits.com" and that's working as it should.
  I only got to spend about 20 minutes on it today before moving Typo3
into the root though, and it looks like crap right now.  But it's doing
what it should at the moment.

I'm just having major problems getting into the back end admin panel
though.  I can't log into the back end at all.