[Typo3] What is the best way to set up a multiple site with subdomains?

Michiel Roos typo3 at monosock.org
Thu Dec 8 13:45:19 CET 2005

On Wed, 07 Dec 2005 19:34:46 -0500, Gilles Deacur wrote:

> Man, can I just say I am glad I found this group.  I've been pulling my
> hair out the last 2 weeks due to the frustrating and confusing
> navigation on the Typo3 site.  This newsgroup looks very promising.
Hope we can help you.

> This is my situation:
> I have a main domain sunshinelocksmith.com. I want to install typo3 into
> a subdomain called admin-maint.sunshinelocksmith.com.  I did that and
> the site worked fine from the subdomain.  But I want to have typo3 run
> multiple domains.  A few would be subdomains such as
> critterpal.sunshinelocksmith.com, deacur.sunshinelocksmith.com,
> monkeywithatypewriter.sunshinelocksmith.com, etc.
Understood, this is possible.

> I imagine this all can be done, but my real problem comes with the URL
> in the browser bar.  I don't want the address to read
> "critterpal.sunshinelocksmith.com/this-page/" but rather
> "www.critterpal.com/this-page/".  I'm having troubles with this at the
> moment and suspect this is because I have the typo3 installed in a
> subdomain.
Why is this a problem? You own the names critterpal.com and
sunshinelocksmith.com.

To make Typo3 recieve all the requests for the subdomains etc, your vhost
entry should look something like this:

<VirtualHost sunshinelocksmith.com:80>
  ServerName sunshinelocksmith.com
  ServerAlias critterpal.sunshinelocksmith.com
  ServerAlias critterpal.com
  ServerAlias deacur.sunshinelocksmith.com

  DocumentRoot /home/httpd/htdocs/typo3Root
  CustomLog    /home/httpd/logs/sunshinelocksmith.com/access combined
  ErrorLog     /home/httpd/logs/sunshinelocksmith.com/errors
</VirtualHost>

Then it is Typo3's problem to answer the requests with the correct
content. Therefore, you must specify domain entries for all your sites.

If you want your location bar to read "www.critterpal.com/this-page/",
make your links point there.

> Am I correct?  Does this need to go into the root to work like I want,
> or can this work like I want from a subdomain?
I don't understand your problem here.

Cheers,

Michiel