[Typo3] [Typo3-dev] Call for volunteers: fe extension coordination team

Sun Dec 4 15:35:51 CET 2005

Dear developers and extension users,

please stop endless complaining and nail the things down this time.

We highly need a core team for the coordination of frontend extension
development. This field is neglegted since long because everything is
still focused on BE-development. The amount of frontend extensions is
daily rising, while quality and interoperabilty is decreasing.

"Portal Standards" will be one topic of TYPO3 5.0 "Phoenix", that
planned for Fall 2006, and is rather realistic in 2007. I think we
shouldn't let the FE-things run without any direction until then.

A coordination team could prepare the requirements for the "Portal
Standards" meanwhile und help extension developers by providing them
with the most necessary guidelines.

Let's do the first step forward into a world of extensions that make
TYPO3 easy to use, now. Extensions that work well together, extensions
that are easy to configure, because they use the same technics and terms.

IMPORTANT: The task of this team can't be to develop the FE-library,
because we can assume that in future the  BE-library will be used for
more and more FE-functionality. Our first focus should be to coordinate
the already existing extensions and especially those that are currently
in development. Our second focus should be to start the definition of
the upcoming "portal standards".

For this project we need

* a name
* a team
* a plan
* a communication base

THE NAME

It should be short enough to serve as a newsgroup name. It should be
clear enough to hit the point.

Some proposals:

* Fe-Coordination: typo3.teams.fecoordination
* Ext-Coordination: typo3.teams.extcoordination
* Extension-Cooperation: typo3.teams.extcoop
* Portal standards: typo3.teams.portal(standards)
* Portal ware (like groupware): typo3.teams.portalware

Please propose better ideas.

THE TEAM

Who is interested and capable to join this team?

Ext-Developers: Those who already have experienced the points.
Especially those dealing with the fe-users and address matters. Those
who are missing roles in the current concept to realise their plans.
Those who access other sources then fe_users and tt_address. (ldap, etc.)

Users: Those who already did integrate TYPO3 setups with a large number
of extensions, that know the problems and have concrete ideas how that
could be solved.

Projects: In the wiki you find different projects that focus on a
special point of this complex but don't cover it as a whole.

Core Developers: Those who already know that they will take part in
refectoring the fe libraries.

THE PLAN

All members should contribute.

A central point in the first phase will be the proper definition of the
database model for FE-Users and Addresses. There are different people
allready working in this field. They need to be coordinated.

The mighty FE-User registration of Stanislas currently seems to go it's
very own way. That is a development that seems very dangerous to me for
the whole TYPO3 portal. We need a similar good FE-User registration that
fits to a commonly defined DB-model. That's a very central point.

We should define an API/Service to access users and addresses, so that
the underlying storage can be exchanged. There are allready different
extensions that access the BE users or LDAP to get the data. Theese
concepts need a sytematical integration, to keep everything interoperable.

After having done this we can concentrate on other tables that are of
importance to get used by different extensions of one portal setup.

Last not least there are questions how to use versioning from FE-Extensions.

COMMUNICATION BASE

Well we need to use newsgroup. Depending on the amount of posts and
trolls that could be public or members excusive.

If you are interested to bring in your part you can answer here ore
write me directly to

elmar(DOT)hinz(AT)team(MINUS)red(DOT)net

Discussion on this should go mainly to typo3.english to keep it in one
place. It concerns developers and users as well.

Regards

Elmar

- --
Climate change 2005: Mexico, Guatemala, New Orleans, Sahel, Bangladesh,
Spain, Portugal, Austria, Swiss, France, ...
Production of CO2 is killing people.
Production of CO2 just for fun is killing people just for fun.