[Typo3] Indexed Search (CVS Version) + MySQL 4.1 + UTF-8 => no results with special chars

Jochen Rieger j.rieger at connecta.ag
Fri Dec 2 11:49:22 CET 2005

Hi Dmitry & all,

>>In other words... there would be a double convertion in many places? Is
>>this meant by the "magic"?
>
> Some versions of mysql do not support utf-8 natively. Some other
> databases do not support utf-8 too. This is why typo3 handles it all.

on the one hand this is a very nice behaviour towards backward
compatibility. But on the other hand this handicaps new technologies,
doesn't it?

I haven't gotten into the deep roots of UTF-8 conversion in TYPO3's core
classes yet, but if I understand you correctly it converts everything it
get's to some format that can be stored in an ISO database. And through
this it would destroy it for native UTF-8 databases.

Wouldn't it be good to check, if the DB supports UTF-8 natively? And if
so to leave out the transformation it seemingly is doing at the moment.

To get back to my case again. Everything works fine so far except the
indexed search. Maybe one could swich off transformation THERE in case a
db that supports UTF-8 natively is detected?

Greets,
Jochen

--
:: innovative it-strategies ::