[Typo3] Indexed Search (CVS Version) + MySQL 4.1 + UTF-8 => no results with special chars

Jochen Rieger j.rieger at connecta.ag
Fri Dec 2 11:00:40 CET 2005

Hi list,

I know there are a lot of threads around already concerning this topic.
Anyway none of them could help with the following configuration:

TYPO3 3.8.1
indexed_search 2.13 (CVS version from T3 4.0 with template support)
PHP 4.3.11
MySQL 4.1.11 (UTF-8 bin)

The settings concerning charset in my.cnf
# --------------------------
[client]
default-character-set = utf8
[mysqld]
default-character-set = utf8
# --------------------------

TYPO3 is configured as follows:

config.renderCharset = utf-8
config.metaCharset = utf-8

$TYPO3_CONF_VARS["BE"]["forceCharset"] = 'utf-8

Facts: We were experiencing problems with some Russian and Chinese
characters when saving. TYPO3 threw an error message after saving from
RTE. When hitting "continue" all problematic chars have been replaced by
'?'. Then we added the lines in the my.cnf. Especially the [client]
addition helped with that issue. Now everything runs fine in UTF-8.
German Umlaute as well as any Russian or Chinese chars are displayed
correctly in backend and frontend.

But as soon as you want to search for something like "universität" (or
any Russian or Chinese chars) your result will be empty.

I checked the index-tables in DB and everything looks fine. Even when I
get a debug output from class.indexedsearch.php everything in XHTML
source code and visible in browser is utf-8.

Searching for a string like "university" works perfectly.

Any setting that we forgot about? How are your experiences?

I would be very happy about some further sharing in experience about
this never ending charset topic! :)

Kind regards,
Jochen

--