[Typo3] 500000 images in /typo3temp folder

Ries van Twisk typo3 at rvt.dds.nl
Thu Dec 1 01:41:11 CET 2005

Michael Stucki wrote:

>Hi Valery,
>

>>I have some support tasks on TYPO3 site which has nearly 350000 images in
>>/typo3temp folder and will have more in short time.
>>
>>This images are prodused by a custom extension, something like
>>photo-gallery.
>>System works on FreeBSD.
>>
>>Can this large number of files produce problems?
>>

>I think that depends on the file system, but it shouldn't be a problem for
>TYPO3.

Indeed, soly from typo's perspective it's indeed not a problem.
However if typo3 does a file_exists(..) or other file operations that
needs directory scanning it's
indeed a performance hit.

>>I consider to rewrite this custom extension, or may be simply correct TS
>>of it.
>>I think alternativeTempPath with some conditions to original file date can
>>solve this problem.
>>So I think it is good to have something like this:
>>/typo3temp/200511/
>>/typo3temp/200512/
>>/typo3temp/200601/
>>etc
>>

>I suggest to run a cron-job on this site for doing regular cleanups. A good
>method is to use GNU find together with the "atime" parameter (last access)
>
>// Delete all files that have not been accessed over the last 10 days:
># find /path/to/typo3temp/ -type f -atime +10 -exec rm -f {} \;
>
>- michael

Sounds like a good idea,
however could that be a potentional performance hit when typo3 needs to
generate images?
Would would you suggest for tuning the days setting?

Ries