[Typo3] personal user pages for others to browse - facebook

Christopher bedlamhotel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 18:25:23 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 11/08/05, Christoph Koehler <christoph.koehler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Jeff,
>
> that sounds like a lot of work. I already told my clients (sounds funny,
> they're more like, friends) that it might not happen because I am not a
> developer.
> I don't think it's supposed to be like a blog, more like, interests,
> favorite quotes, photos, dob, that kind of stuff.
> I will take a look at cwt_community.
>
> I would like to avoid giving them backend access, they would just be
> totally overwhelmed anyway.
>
> Thanks again Jeff!
>
> Christoph
>
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 10:44:46 -0500, Jeff Segars <jsegars at alumni.rice.edu>
> wrote:
>
> > I'm not aware of any extension that does this out of the box, but there
> > are a couple that could get you close...
> >
> > [1] cwt_community - Lets you have profile pages for frontend users that
> > show contact information, photos, etc.  If you want users to have the
> > capability to add custom content, you'd have to extend it I think.
> >
> > [2] timtaw - Lets frontend users edit existing pages.  This could work
> > if you need custom content but it would have to be set up for every user.
> >
> > [3] freesite - Freesite is an older extension so I'm not sure how if
> > everything still works in 3.8.  It lets you create small, subsites based
> > on predefined templates.  It would give backend access to users,
> > however, which may be overkill from something like facebook.

You should probably check out the fe_adminLib.inc section of the TSref
[1] - in a way it's ideal for small-scale FE user interaction because
it's eintirely based on html templates and a bit of TS. You can use
the kickstarter to add new tables or extend existing ones, and then
just build the templates (budget a little extra time for figuring out
the slightly arcane directions in the TSref...)

-Christopher

[1] http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/doc_core_tsref/fe_adminLib_inc/