[Typo3] ANB (another newbie question)

Matteo Anceschi manceschi at arscolor.com
Thu Apr 7 09:36:55 CEST 2005

Hi list,

I know this will be a terrible newbie question, and perhaps the answer
is written in a doc I've already read, but I've now a melting pot in my
brain :(

I'm playing with Modern Template Building part 2 (on typo 3.7.0); I've
done all (until page 18, in case you have the OO doc), that is:
- done the extension tx_tmplselect with kickstarter and it's ok
- modified the main function of the class to list the files in a given
directory and it's ok

Problems:
1) It's a normal t3 behaviour not deleting fields (added in a table by
an extension) when uninstall the related extension?
When I install tx_tmplselect, I see " update needed" for the database,
listing my 2 new fields (and it's ok). But when I uninstall, I see ONLY
the header "update needed" for the database, and below there's nothing
(an fields remains in table after the extension removal)

2) Currently I've this extension installed; Kasper (I think Kasper) at
page 18 wrote:
"First, look in the ext_tables.sql file:

CREATE TABLE pages (
	tx_tmplselect_main_tmpl int(11) unsigned DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL,
	tx_tmplselect_ca_tmpl int(11) unsigned DEFAULT '0' NOT NULL
);

[snip]
  the fields are defined to be integer fields - this is useless if we
want to store a reference to a filename! So you should change the
entries to this instead:

CREATE TABLE pages (
	tx_tmplselect_main_tmpl varchar(32) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL,
	tx_tmplselect_ca_tmpl varchar(32) DEFAULT '' NOT NULL
);"

This is trivial to do, and obviously when I modify ext_tables.sql, for
this extension (in the ext manager) typ3 says: "UPDATE NEEDED" for the
database. It's ok, and I do the update.
The problem is that from now the "UPDATE NEEDED" stays forever,
displaying identical old and new field definitions; if I do the update
again, nothing changes, it still remain. And in the extension manager of
tx_tmplselect, (view: "information") says "table field are missing or
wrong".
I think perhaps I've to change something else (ext_tables.php?) but I've
not found this in tutorial, so I'm not sure about it...I've already look
at files in my /ext directory but I don't find something related to this
db field change :(

If this question is too trivial or already asked, feel free to tell me,
I will go searching again (i've already googled it, of course).

Thank you in advance,

Matteo