[Typo3] changing user in phpShell

Christopher tombedlam at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 6 23:52:43 CEST 2005

--- Christoph Koehler <christoph.koehler at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 15:56:03 -0500, Michael Stucki <michael at typo3.org>
> wrote:
>
> > Christoph Koehler wrote:
> >
> >> I installed phpShell on my webserver to use TYPO3 symlinks, since my
> >> space
> >> is very limited. However, I am logged in as nobody and cannot write to
>
> >> my
> >> ftp account. Does anyone know how to change users so that I can login
>
> >> with
> >> my username and pw?
> >
> > *smile*
>
> Which means....?

Which means, I think, that you need to review users, groups and permissions
on Apache. Phpshell is (I guess) a php application; in most cases, php will
be running as the Apache user 'nobody', and so your application will have
the access levels appropriate to that user. If you're using shared hosting,
all other scripts on the same server will run with the same permissions.
You can probably see why it's useful (in terms of security) not to allow
the 'nobody' user to write to users' accounts by default.

You can probably enable 'nobody' to write to your www or public_html
directory by using the chmod command to set the directory permissions to
'777', but be sure to change them back to 755 - or whatever they were
before - when you've finished.

-Christopher