[TYPO3-dev] AbstractPlugin vs ActionController

Crico Guillaume guillaume.crico at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 20:38:33 CET 2016

Hi,

It depends mostly on the purpose of your plugin, and if you want to use
the Extbase features.

ActionController is part of Extbase, and you will have to follow the
"Extbase way".
This gives you a lot of builtin features (injection of Domain/Model,
View) but be careful : you have to stick on a lot of conventions (which
are not so well documented), it is slow (in my opinion), and the Extbase
API is not very stable (watch Extbase changelog).

The AbtractPlugin on the other way is quite stable, and is great if all
you want is an "entry point" for your plugin, with few utilities (mostly
the link related methods). But then you are on your own! The
AbtractPlugin is the best solution if you have no use of the Extbase
Domain/Model.

Regards,
Guillaume Crico