[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 CMS 6.2.x and PHP 5.6

Michael Schams typo3.lists at 2015.trash.schams.net
Fri Jun 12 07:01:44 CEST 2015

Hi everyone!

Can someone tell me how the incompatibility of TYPO3 CMS <= 6.2.13 with
PHP 5.6 becomes noticeable (in practical terms)?

I stumbled across the following warning in the release announcement [1]
of TYPO3 6.2.13:

(quote) "Although the TYPO3 CMS Team aims at eventually supporting PHP
5.6 with TYPO3 6.2 LTS, we are aware of in-depth issues with the
reinstantiation of objects in Extbase. As such, we highly recommend to
keep PHP 5.3 - 5.5 when running TYPO3 6.2 LTS for the time being."

We are using Debian 8 "Jessie" (which comes with PHP 5.6) for our DEV
and TEST servers and just added a Debian 8 system to our pool of
production servers (which should host TYPO3 CMS 6.2.x instances).

Reading the warning above, I am a little bit concerned :-)

What does "in-depth issues with the reinstantiation of objects in
Extbase" really mean? We have not noticed any problems on our DEV/TEST
systems yet. Do these issues occur in rare cases only? Any exceptions or
error messages we should look for? Are there any cases, extensions,
configurations known, which break an installation?

And most importantly: is there a chance of getting the next 6.2-release
compatible with PHP 5.6? :-)

Thanks to everyone who worked on the 6.2.13 release!

Cheers
Michael

[1] http://typo3.org/news/article/typo3-cms-6213-released/