[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 7 dependency in extensions

Charles Brunet charles at cbrunet.net
Tue Jan 20 16:30:40 CET 2015

Hello,

Thank you for the insightful discussion. I realize that the answer is not
fully determined yet.

May I add my point of view? As a minor extension developer, it is difficult
for me to test my extensions against every supported versions of TYPO3 (and
PHP...). I know the best practice would be to implement unit and functional
tests. I know I could use Travis, as the news extension does. But all of
this is a lot of work for a minor extension developer like me, who does it
more like a hobby than like a real work. Therefore, when I set the typo3
dependency on my extensions, I do my best, but a little blindly, because I
don't know by heart which API functions are (or not) in which TYPO3 version.

What I would suggest would be to be as lax as possible in the dependency
settings of extensions, but also to add something in the web interface of
TER to allow people to confirm if this version of the extension is
compatible or not with a specific version of TYPO3, like a pool. Then, we
could see something that show if people marked the extension as compatible
or not with each TYPO3 version. If I remember, I think this is what
Wordpress does.

I also second the suggestion of bernd wilke to be able to filter out
extensions by TYPO3 version dependencies. I would be great also if the
extension manager was able to download only the list of compatible
extensions (because right now, the MySQL table for the list of extensions
uses 25 MB on each TYPO3 website I have on my server).

Just my 2¢

*Charles Brunet, B. Ing.*
Webmestre.
Étudiant au doctorat, génie électrique, Université Laval.