[TYPO3-dev] TYPO3 7 dependency in extensions

Viktor Livakivskyi invisible.kinder at gmail.com
Tue Jan 20 11:18:42 CET 2015

Hi, Michael.

> At this point in time, the legitimate max version in the 7.x
> branch of TYPO3 is: 7.999.999.
>
> Jigal explained this by the fact, that 7.x versions are not
> considered as separate releases and it we can not ask extension
> developers to provide an update every 2-3 months.
>
> My argument is, that this allows developers to claim, that their
> extensions work in TYPO3 versions, which have not been released
> (even developed) yet.
>
> This puts us in a position, where we will likely see extensions
> in the TER which are marked to be compatible with a specific
> TYPO3 version, but if an integrator installs the extensions,
> it may break.

What about announcing a kind of "breaking changes policy", like "deprecation policy", saying that feature, which exists in version 7.x will for sure exist in two upcoming versions (7.x+2), until it is marked as "to_be_removed" or "deprecated" or whatever else.
So, if I develop an extension under 7.0, I can set 7.0.0-7.2.99 as dependency. And when a 7.1 is released, I'm sure, that my code still works, but I check the features, that I use, and if any of them is marked as "to_be _removed", I update my code and set dependency 7.1.0-7.3.99

O it sounds easier, than it is in real life? :)